traumahawk

traumahawk

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Matt Flynn

Matt Flynn


So when free agency started I must admit that I was pretty lukewarm on the prospect of signing him, however things have changed. There is more to this Matt Damon look alike than I originally thought. After a very good college career at LSU Flynn was picked in the 7th round by the Green Bay Packers. Not only he was picked late, he was also the second QB that the Packers picked that year. Many, many young man with excellent college performances find themselves not picked or picked that late, which almost always means life backup role, if lucky enough to stay in the NFL at all.

Flynn though, seems different, not only did he beat out the other drafted QB (who was drafted in the second round) he ascended to Rodgers confidant, friend and student. Flynn’s last game as a Packer was full of record breaking stats and very impressive, but even more impressive was the pride that could be seen in Rogers, completely satisfied with his student’s performance.

This to me tells me that Rodgers, a top tier QB in this league (some would defend that he is the best) has a respect for this rookie that can only be attained by working hard, being respectful of your colleagues and by passing the tests that are presented to you. That to me is worth more than if with had another 3 or games worth of real life film.

Then, on the field, even though not armed with the strongest arm in the league, this guy has a superb sense of environment around him, shows ability to read defenses and make alterations, is super accurate on short and medium passing, and even though I would not describe him as having a “cannon” arm he should sufficient efficacy even on 40+ long passes. He has shown that he can be a leader and has a natural ability to make decisions and act upon them. This is a very import trait that all elite QBs possess and that cannot be taught. Just ask Tarvaris Jackson, physically gifted to be able to perform at elite level, but when it comes to natural leadership skills falls behind, and the split second longer that takes Jackson in his decision making and acting upon it drop his future to average, probably backup level.

The more I read about this Flynn and his life choices the more confident I am that he can take the reins of this team and become the face o this franchise. I’m not taking about a “placeholder” almost a household title at the Seahawks in recent years, but a guy to carry this thing through, all the way, finally. Do I mean that we should not draft a QB later this year (heck every year)? No, I do not mean that at all, we need to keep investing in the future and we don’t want to be in the post-Wallace limbo we have been experiencing in the last many years. But I want a full commitment to this guy, he’s our franchise QB and will be for a long time, given time to develop and become a star in the Emerald city.

Don’t ask for his head if the first year is not great, at some point we have to settle and commit to someone; otherwise we will just be the Raiders of the NFCW. Remember the other Matt that came from Green Bay? Remember how bad he was in the first two years? I surely do. But that Matt took us to the SB and I have a feeling this Matt can at least do that for us too, he has the same spunky spark in the eye that I saw from the previous Matt. A leader, decisive and able to make the best out of the tools he does possess other than finding excuses for those he does not.

I think we should show commitment, not with top dollar right now, but with security and continuity by offering a longer contract than we have provided the previous “place holders” in our recent past. I would offer him 4 years, that’s right 4 years, is more than long enough for this leader to take over and show us that he deserves the mega $$$ contract at the end of it. Hopefully a SB appearance at least in that time frame (that’s right I am not getting any younger). For these first 4 years I would pay as little as possible and then load him up with incentive bonuses.

I have been accused of jumping “bandwagons” recently, but it’s hard to develop loyalties with the roster churn we have experienced. This time I am in permanently on Flynn’s bandwagon (disclaimer if he does not sign with us of course) and am ready to take some punches over the next few years and have his back. I am willing Flynn to be the man. Manning, RGIII and Luck might sound more sexy and marketable names but I am ready to commit to the Flynn brand.
I don’t want to keep comparing him with Hasselbeck and I really don’t think they are that similar on the field, but in terms of leadership and charisma I think they are identical and on top of glory on the field I think that Flynn can provide us with that respectful face for this franchise that Hasselbeck spoiled us with for so long.

I am ready for this new era to start, buy my #10 jersey and see him take this franchise to glory for the next 10 years or so. Carroll and Schneider please go “all in” on this one, make sure that when this kid comes to visit this weekend, he makes Seattle his new home and becomes our elected QB.

No comments:

Post a Comment